Malhargad is a hill fort situated around 30 km from Pune. Malhargad is also known as Sonori because of the village Sonori situated at its base. It was the last fort built by the Marathas. Hence it is also known as Tarun Killa. Tarun in Marathi means young and Killa means fort. The Sahayadri range to the west of Pune in Velha taluka is bifurcated, one of which has the forts Rajgad and Torna, while on the other range are the forts Sinhagad, Purandar, Vajragad and Malhargad. This range is known as the Bhuleshwar range which is spread along the East-West direction. The fort is believed to be built to keep watch on ‘Dive’ ghat along the Pune-Saswad route.
The fort was built during the period of 1757 to 1760. The fort was built by Panse, a Peshwa Sardar, who was the chief in- charge of To%hana of the Peshwas. Citations of a visit of Elder Madhavrao Peshwe to the fort are available in historic documents. A palace, belonging to Panse, can be seen in the Sonori village though much of it is in ruins.
An easy trek leads to the top of the fort. The entrance is still in good condition. There are two temples constructed side- by-side which are also in good condition. The smaller temple is of Lord Khandoba and the larger temple is of Lord Mahadeva. The fort has been named Malhargad because of the temple of Lord Khandoba. There are a few cisterns also. From the top of this fort, Jejuri, Purandar-Vajragad, Sinhagad & Parvati can be seen with naked eye.